For more information contact us or email us!

Call Us: +30-2310-850115


Review of Ierissos

Distance from Thessaloniki 120 km.

The village is the successor of the ancient town Akanthos, a colony of the island of Andros in the 8 th century BC. A settlement was here already since the Prehistoric Time. We assume that the name Akanthos (thorn) was given because of the many thorns (acanthus), which grow in the area. The town was famous in the entire antique world for the wonderful white wine it produced.

During the Byzantine Era, Ierissos was the seat of a Bishop. The Turks conquered it in 1425 and it was destroyed in 1821. A strong earthquake in 1932 levelled the village and killed many inhabitants. The village was rebuilt on a new location, a little further to the northwest than the old one.

The beach of the homonymous village is enormous and sandy, with spotless waters.
It has restaurants, taverns and cafeterias.

Sights - archaeological sites:
The ruins of the Byzantine Castle.
The ruins of the Byzantine Temple destroyed by the earthquake of 1932.
The tower named Krouna at the west, built in the 14 th century to protect the cultivators of the land of the Monastery Helandariou of Mount Athos.
The shipyard.

The local dance called “stou Mavroniou to aloni” on the third day after Easter Sunday, where all the villagers take part to honour the memory of their fellow citizen slaughtered by the Turks in 1821.
Festival on July 20 (Prophitis Elias – Prophet Elia).
Festival on September 8 (the birthday of Virgin Mary).

Food - entertainment:
Restaurants, fish taverns.

Fresh fish.

All kinds of water sports.

Accommodation in Ierissos